Friday, March 11, 2016

Review: Defending Taylor by Miranda Kenneally (ARC)



Captain of the soccer team, president of the Debate Club, contender for valedictorian: Taylor’s always pushed herself to be perfect. After all, that’s what is expected of a senator’s daughter. But one impulsive decision—one lie to cover for her boyfriend—and Taylor’s kicked out of private school. Everything she’s worked so hard for is gone, and now she’s starting over at Hundred Oaks High.

Soccer has always been Taylor’s escape from the pressures of school and family, but it’s hard to fit in and play on a team that used to be her rival. The only person who seems to understand all that she’s going through is her older brother’s best friend, Ezra. Taylor’s had a crush on him for as long as she can remember. But it’s hard to trust after having been betrayed. Will Taylor repeat her past mistakes or can she score a fresh start?


Publishing date: July 2016

RATING: 3.5 stars

I became a fan of Miranda Kenneally's right after reading Catching Jordan. That book is now one of my all-time favorites and Kenneally became an auto-buy author. I have pretty much all her books (except maybe one, not too sure), but the other one I've only read is Breathe, Annie, Breathe. While I've enjoyed these books of hers, nothing can come close to Catching Jordan. Maybe it's because o my obsession with football, but I finished that book in one sitting. ONE! Ok, ok, enough of Catching Jordan. This book was great, too. I especially love how she incorporates sports into her books (since sports and books are two of my favorite things in the whole world), and this one was no different.

Overall, it was a fun read. It was funny, I felt for the main character, Taylor, or "Tee", but I thought she complained a little too much. Not that I blame her, in a situation where your family is in the limelight, I'm sure it isn't always unicorns and rainbows so I felt for her, I just thought she needed to be a little stronger in her home life like she was at school when it came to confronting her arch nemesis, Nicole. I can understand where she came from, after dissecting and analyzing the book, I realized I could relate to her more than I originally thought.

I flew through this book, which is always a good sign, Kenneally's writing is so addicting and witty and her characters are always personable and likable, that's an automatic three stars. I gave it 3.5 because though I enjoyed it very much, and it's a book I definitely recommend if you're in the mood for a light, fun read, it's not one I see myself reading again. At least not anytime in the near future. Still, Kenneally is an author who's books I always look forward to.

Oh, and PS. These covers are ALWAYS awesome!


No comments:

Post a Comment