Saturday, March 26, 2016

Review: Nora & Kettle by Lauren Nicolle Taylor



"What if Peter Pan was a homeless kid just trying to survive, and Wendy flew away for a really good reason?"

Seventeen-year-old Kettle has had his share of adversity. As an orphaned Japanese American struggling to make a life in the aftermath of an event in history not often referred to the internment of Japanese Americans during World War II and the removal of children from orphanages for having "one drop of Japanese blood in them" things are finally looking up. He has his hideout in an abandoned subway tunnel, a job, and his gang of Lost Boys.

Desperate to run away, the world outside her oppressive brownstone calls to naive, eighteen-year-old Nora the privileged daughter of a controlling and violent civil rights lawyer who is building a compensation case for the interned Japanese Americans. But she is trapped, enduring abuse to protect her younger sister Frankie and wishing on the stars every night for things to change.

For months, they've lived side by side, their paths crossing yet never meeting. But when Nora is nearly killed and her sister taken away, their worlds collide as Kettle, grief stricken at the loss of a friend, angrily pulls Nora from her window.

In her honeyed eyes, Kettle sees sadness and suffering. In his, Nora sees the chance to take to the window and fly away.

Set in 1953, Nora & Kettle explores the collision of two teenagers facing extraordinary hardship. Their meeting is inevitable, devastating, and ultimately healing. Their stories, "a collection of events, are each on their own harmless. But together, one after the other, they change the world."


RATING: 5 stars

**I apologize before hand for not being able to give it a proper review. I honestly couldn't find the right words to express how I really felt about this book. It is not only one of my favorite reads of the year, but of all time. And I've read some pretty damn good books. I sincerely hope you all give this book a read, only then will you really understand what I mean. As I let this book sync in some more, I'll write a much more descriptive review. So please keep checking in for that.**

I'm a huge fan of US History. It's one of my favorite subjects in school and favorite genres to read, historical fiction and non-fiction, and so when I came across this book on NetGalley, I knew I had to read it.

This book is most definitely not for the faint of heart. It was hard to read, not because it was horribly written or it was difficult to understand (at least not int he traditional sense-- more on that later) but because our main character, Nora, who I consider one of the bravest, strongest and smartest heroines I'v ever read about, endures some traumatic experiences under her father. Kettle easily became one of my favorite characters to read about. His courage and his loyalty to those around him shows just how caring human beings can be even during times of duress.

The era of WWII is my favorite in US History. I find it so fascinating even though it probably is one of the worst times in our country's history. And unfortunately, we don't too often hear about the Japanese internment camps nor the aftermath. Another reason to read this book, it gives another perspective for those who are curious.

My heart ached, it broke and it tore to pieces throughout the entire book. I can't go into detail or give it a proper review without giving away any spoilers. I definitely recommend this book, but be warned that this is NOT for the light-hearted.

No comments:

Post a Comment